Everybody needs minerals … and your dog’s body does too. He can get many of the important minerals he needs through his diet … such as calcium from bones, phosphorus from meat or iron from liver …
But sometimes, small mineral imbalances or deficiencies can occur, and they can affect your dog’s overall health.
Giving minerals in supplement form can be harmful, because most mineral supplements are synthetically made, and the body doesn’t recognize or absorb these artificial substances in the same way that minerals in food are absorbed …
So what can you do to recognize and correct any mineral imbalances in your dog?
Fortunately there’s an answer … and that answer lies in the use of a gentle type of homeopathic remedy known as cell salts or tissue salts.
What Are Cell Salts?
At the 2014 Natural Canine Health Symposium (NCHS), homeopath Maria Ringo DCMHS CCH HOM explained that health begins at a cellular level. She described how the tiny doses of minerals in tissue or cell salts can safely treat your dog’s ailments and boost his overall vitality and health.
So … what are cell salts? Let’s listen to a clip from Maria’s talk as she explains how these salts are a crystalline form of electrolytes that the body needs …
To be fully functional, the living cells in the body need minerals and other inorganic compounds in the proper proportion. Cell salts provide a safe dose of the minerals your dog needs for optimal health.
History Of Cell Salts
Dr Samuel Hahnemann is famous for being the founder of homeopathy. But it was one of his contemporaries, Dr Wilhelm Heinrich Schuessler, who studied the role of minerals in our bodies and discovered the therapeutic value of cell salts … or tissue remedies, as he first named them.
How Cell Salts Work
Good health depends on a balanced state of the constituents in the cells of the body. Cells and their contents are always in motion, and Schuessler said that any imbalance caused by this motion can lead to health issues.
Minimal Doses Avoid Risk Of Toxicity
Any substance, even water, can be toxic in large doses. With water, the toxic level is about 6 liters for humans … that much water can kill you! Therapeutic use of cell salts to correct imbalances avoids potential toxicity that can be caused by large doses of minerals in other forms.
Cell salts come in a very low 6X potency … as compared to other homeopathic remedies that you’ll commonly see in higher potencies like 30C or 200C. The X stands for 10 and the C stands for 100 … the X means that the mother tincture is diluted in a 1:10 ratio and the C means the mother tincture is diluted in a 1:100 ratio. Homeopathic remedies are more potent when they are more diluted, so the X remedies are very low potency and thus very gentle and safe to use for your dog.
[Related: Homeopathic Potencies For Dogs]
Every Body Needs Cell Salts
Schuessler’s studies showed that the cells of the body need several inorganic substances in order to be healthy:
- Potash (potassium)
- Lime (calcium)
Every cell needs these minerals in salt form for optimal function.
Cell Salt Dosage
Cell salts should usually taken twice daily for several weeks or a month to be effective. Give your dog 2 or 3 tablets twice daily, at least 10 minutes away from food or water.
The 12 Cell Salts
Here are the 12 cell salts, each with a brief list of signs that suggest your dog might need that salt.
#1 Calcarea fluorica (Calc fluor 6X)
- Hard knotty lumps, bone spurs, growth
- Cracked skin
- Loose teeth
- Repeated sprains
- Stony hardness in glands
#2 Calcarea phosphoricum (Calc Phos 6X)
- Damaged periosteum (outer layer of bone)
- Slow Dentition
- Arthritic joints, tendonitis, back and neck pain
- Weak digestion
- Exhausting illness, childbirth or injury
- Slow healing of bones
- Poor circulation
- Watery, smelly, noisy stool
#3 Calcarea sulphurica (Calc sulph 6X)
- Oozing skin eruptions, boils, abscesses
- Pus at the edges of the eyes
- Any kind of purulent (pus-y) discharges from the mucous membranes
#4 Ferrum phosphoricum (Ferr Phos 6X)
- Fever (use at onset)
- Nasal congestion
- Inflammation (heat + swelling + redness + pain …use at onset)
#5 Kali muriaticum (Kali mur 6X)
- Blisters from burns
- Coughs and colds with white greyish coating of tongue
- All chronic, sluggish conditions (physical and mental)
- Slow digestion, slow healing
- Gunked up ears, discharges from ears
#6 Kali phosphoricum (Kali phos 6X)
- Anxiety or depression
- Pain with paralytic sensation
- Prostration of body and mind (especially in elderly)
- Bad odor of the body and its emanations
#7 Kali sulphuricum (Kali sulph 6X)
- Any ailment accompanied by profuse flaking or shedding of the skin
- Yellow or greenish mucous discharges from orifices
- Difficulty with respiration or perspiration
- Stubborn colds with rattling croupy cough
- Ear infections
- Sticky, matted hair
- Wheezing, asthma
#8 Magnesia phosphoricum (Mag phos 6X)
- Stomach cramps
- Spasmodic, darting pains
- Twitching, convulsions
- Teething pain
#9 Natrum muriaticum (Nat mur 6X)
- Bloated appearance with chilliness, drowsiness
- Watery eyes
- Excess salivation
- Watery diarrhea
- Offensive breath
- Hay fever and other allergies
- Dandruff, dry skin
- Secretions of watery, frothy mucous
- Gastroenteritis, bleeding from lungs or bowels
#10 Natrum phosphoricum (Nat phos 6X)
- Sour burps, vomiting
- Green diarrhea
- Stiff and swelling joints and other chronic articular rheumatism – weak feeling, legs give way while walking
#11 Natrum sulphuricum (Nat sulph 6X)
- Influenza, asthma
- Liver and pancreatic ailments, diabetes
- Constipation and flatulence
- Edema (water bloat)
- Moist eczema
#12 Silica (Silica 6X)
- Skin infections
- Abscess that is taking too long to ripen and heal
- Ovarian cysts
- Toenail fungus, crippled nails
- Swollen glands and sinus
- Smelly feet and body odor
- Brittle nails, thin hair
- Anxious dreams, nervous irritability, trembling
- Sleepiness and laziness
[Related: Tissue Salts For Senior Dogs]
Bioplasma is a combination of all 12 cell salts together …it can be a safe way to give your dog minerals instead of higher dose mineral supplements.
Try these safe and mild remedies if you notice these symptoms in your dog, suggesting an imbalance or deficiency that is affecting his overall health. Tissue salts are extremely safe but always consult your homeopathic vet if you need help deciding whether they’re right for your dog.