Pumpkin Seeds: A Natural Solution For Worms

pumpkinseeds

Spring is arriving for another year and it’s time once again for the bugs and nasties to start coming back out. Spring is a time when pet owners might start seeing the signs of worms in their dogs. These sigs can include squiggly worms or “rice bodies” in his stool, a thrifty looking appearance, scooting and licking his rear, vomiting and diarrhea.

If your dog shows any of these signs, you might want to take a look in your cupboards before reaching for the toxic dewormers. There might be something in there that could rid your dog of worms without the adverse effects on his health that veterinary dewormers deliver.

Pumpkin Seeds Fight Worms

Raw, organic pumpkin seeds have been used to treat a variety of parasitic and other ailments since the colonists first came to the New World and discovered the benefits of this Native American crop. The flesh and seeds of the pumpkin were used by the Native American tribes to heal wounds, cure kidney ailments and urinary problems and were used as a parasitic treatment on humans. In recent times, herbalists have discovered that the seeds of the pumpkin also work as an effective deworming agent against tapeworms and other intestinal parasites in dogs and humans.

Pumpkin seeds contain the amino acid called cucurbitin, which paralyzes and eliminates the worms from the digestive tract. Pumpkin seeds have other health benefits too – they are loaded with protein, amino acids, fiber, iron, copper, phosphorus and magnesium, calcium, zinc, potassium, folic acid and niacin; all important nutrients to your pet’s overall good health.

Feeding Directions

Pumpkin seeds can be fed whole as a treat for your dog. Don’t feed him the salted seeds from the grocery store; find some raw, organic seeds instead. If your dog doesn’t enjoy them as a treat, you can grind them in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet and add them to his meals. Give him a teaspoon per ten pounds of body weight once or twice a day until he’s rid of the parasites.

39 Responses to Pumpkin Seeds: A Natural Solution For Worms

1. Suzanne March 31, 2014 at 5:44 PM #

Has a prevention,,,,can I give pumpkin seeds to my dog,,,every day

2. bushido bullies March 31, 2014 at 8:03 AM #

all seeds have a protective membrane around them,that means that they should be soaked in filtered water for at least 2 hours before eating….even more for dogs and cats who are lacking some enzymes to brake down all the healthy stuff in the seeds!!and after the soaking it is advised to break them down in a food processor or coffee been grinder…..DE food grade is great too ;)

3. Louise February 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM #

Very interesting. I recall reading something about pumpkin seed oil working on worms also do you know if this is true??

4. Lyne GAgné January 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM #

I eat it my self and have it without the shell
    my puppy as giargia so I grounded my seeds to give to him
    will it work with out the shell?
    thanks
    bye bye xx

• Crystal Wyse February 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM #

Curious about the benefits for various kidney and bladder issues. I have a dog we are still trying to fully diagnose. Possible early stage kidney disease and/ or possible Cushings. If we are dealing with early stage kidney disease, would pumpkin seeds help support the kidneys or would the phosphorus amount be detrimental?

5. Sandra Taylor November 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM #

I have a 67 pound female purebred ch lab. I noticed that she had tape worms. I want to use the garlic method to help her. can yopu tell me the dosges for her. Thankyou.

6. travis October 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM #

how many seeds should i give my dogs love eating them whole and need to know when enough is enough cause they will eat all u give them we got rid of tapeworms in our lil girl dog and her brother comes and stays a few days here and there and brought him back over for a few days and found tapeworm segments in his stool so feeding him the seeds cause gave the sentry pill to his sister and it killed it and made her sick as well so would rather do this so it doesnt make them sick just need to know how many would be sufficient

• Wendy Rogers March 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM #

The article says to give a tsp per every 10 lbs of body weight. Read the last paragraph under the heading Feeding Directions.

7. Penni Barrett September 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM #

A couple years ago, before finding this wonderful article, the attendants at the Vet’s office would look sad everytime we took our beloved Boston Terrier in for his checkup~ he was given to us at 8 months, a miracle-birthed pup of a litter of stillborns. Although a bit dirty and thin he was otherwise a very playful and happy addition to our home. His first checkup revealed adult heart worms :( so the Vet did the three day treatment with orders to subdue him for awhile (ha!) and subsequent tests kept revealing the same problem. We kept him on preventative but truly expected the worst. I tried to obtain a holistic treatment we could not afford and began to seek other advice. Stumbled across pumpkin seed idea and ground up and added to the whole bag of dogfood so he got some with every little bit he ate for quite a while….like months. The next annual checkup the Vet was elated…. NO HEARTWORMS! We have no other explanation…. the “preventative” was the mildest one so likely would not have cured him. I think it was the pumpkin seeds! And I didn’t even have organic ones, just the snack variety! So, SAVE THE SEEDS from the jack-o-lantern in a few weeks…. and have a few for you as well!!

8. mike miller August 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM #

Good information!

9. Melissa July 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM #

How often are you dosing …..once daily for how long?
    Days weeks or months?
    Do you actually see ascarids expelled?

Anyone tried garlic and parsley combo?

I tried guiness….but never saw any parasites in the stool after dosing……do you have info concerning hops as a dewormer?

• Anna March 31, 2014 at 8:56 AM #

I thought hops were deadly…..google it

10. Jo May 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM #

How much ground up pumpkin powder should I give my 75 lb lab for his tape worms?

11. Melanie March 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM #

Please make sure people are aware that this is for “intestinal” worms only….it will not work on heartworms.

12. Tricia Stacy March 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM #

I’ve recently adopted a 12 week old puppy and he had/has round and whip worms, dewormers were given to him. My vet wants to give him another round but I would much rather try this!!!! If it is safe for a puppy? and approx. when should I get him rechecked for the worms?? I don’t see any in his stool…thank you

13. Debbie Ouellette March 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM #

Please answer!! Are pumpkin seeds safe for cats too. Do they help for worms? Also is there a cat magazine you guys have? Would appreciate the feedback.

• Dogs Naturally Magazine March 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM #

Debbie, they should be fine for cats.

• Anna March 31, 2014 at 8:57 AM #

I often think the same thing about wishing to see more on cats!

14. Melissa March 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM #

Does this work on coccidia/giardia infections? I think one of my dogs got it when dumpster diving and he was put on metron because he had bloody diarrhea, but then I think he gave it to one of my other dogs. I started both of them on pumpkin seed and gave it whole for a couple of days but noticed that it came out whole so I started crushing it and immediately noticed that both dogs got better. The one on antibiotics was already getting better but the one who was not on antibiotics also got better. I was dosing at about 1 tsp for the 55lb dog and 1/2 tsp for the 28lb dog. I dont know if this is coincidence or what. Is it even possible for a dog to recover from this type of infection without antibiotics?

• Dogs Naturally Magazine March 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM #

Of course dogs can recover from coccidia and giardia without antibiotics. These parasitic issues are the result of an imbalanced immune system and the antibiotics will only cause further disruption of the intestinal flora. This is why herbs and homeopathy are preferred: once the parasites are gone, they’re gone because they dog hasn’t suffered an insult to his immune system

15. Rose Fisch March 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM #

I see that the question “Would this work for cats?” but I haven’t seen any reply. I am also interested in knowing if it would work for cats, and what would the dose be. Thank you.

16. Kimbra Wood March 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM #

This sounds wonderful, and I would love to feed pumpkin seeds instead of pharmacueticals to my dog to rid her of worms. Could you please include the scientific evidence, link a study or two, or give names and credentials of people who are telling this to us? I hope this is true, sounds great, but shouldn’t I be careful to know where this info is coming from?

• Dogs Naturally Magazine March 18, 2013 at 8:01 PM #

Kimbra pretty much every herbologist and holistic vet is aware of the benefits and safety of pumpkin seeds. You could start with Greg Tilford and Dr Richard Pitcairn. There are zero scientific studies to show that parachutes work either – but they still do :-)

17. Mar March 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM #

Another extremely healthy alternative that rids the body of most parasites in humans and animals is Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade). It can be mixed in food or in liquids and should be used for 3 months to also get the eggs of the next batch. It also provides minerals and is purported to have many other health benefits. Dosages, etc. can be found here: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/wholisticproduct.html#DE.

Some health food stores sell it or on the internet. Perma-Guard is the cleanest source or through Wolf Creek Ranch. I buy it in bulk and provide it for those in my area (Winnipeg) to make it less expensive and easier for them to find.

• kathi richards March 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM #

I get my DE at a feed store. A buck a pound and it is clean.

18. Katy March 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM #

What about cats. Would the dosage be the same?

19. Peter G March 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM #

Can pumpkin seeds be fed to a dog with EPI? And if so, should they be treated with the eznymes he gets with each meal?

20. JoAnn March 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM #

Are the shells safe for dogs or should they be shucked first

• Mare March 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM #

JoAnn, I’d like to know the answer to this too! While the article does advise that the seeds can be fed ‘whole’, I too am confused as to whether by ‘whole’ they mean feeding with the shell intact or not as there’s no mention whatsoever as to whether they should be shucked first!
      Editors, please enlighten us?

• Dogs Naturally Magazine March 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM #

Hulls and all!

• Ann Skyler Cobbett March 31, 2014 at 10:58 AM #

Raw, organic shelled. They really work best if you pulverize them in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet. I keep a large jar of it in the fridge so I just add the correct amount to their food.

21. Brenda March 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM #

Can you use these ground up for cats also?

22. Erin March 18, 2013 at 8:50 AM #

Can a lesser amount be used daily as preventative care? (Instead of waiting until they have them and trying to get rid of them)

Thanks!

• Dogs Naturally Magazine March 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM #

You could add half that amount but don’t give it year round. Try giving it for two or three weeks at a time, a few times a year.

• haze ng March 14, 2014 at 1:53 AM #

i saw u better to give the dog in raw seeds, can i dry the seeds by dehydrator? tks

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What Da Heck are Pumpkin Seeds good for? | The High Canadian's Crib - February 10, 2014

[…] they can be used as ammo to naturally kill off parasites and or worms, in dogs and humans read more here…..and here for the hardcore skeptics […]

2. New Product: SFRAW Pumpkin Parasite Powder | San Francisco Raw Feeders (SFRAW) - March 28, 2013

[...] happened to see parasites, pumpkin seeds & garlic pop-up a few different places in the media (a Dogs Naturally Magazine article & Dr. Oz show)– being the start of spring, parasites and intestinal health/cleansing do [...]

3. Worms - March 18, 2013

[...] Pumpkin Seeds: A Natural Solution For Worms | Dogs Naturally Magazine Natural pumpkin seeds are now being used as a natural wormer, they can be fed whole or ground up. Have a read of this link, I am all for the natural remedies, too many products cause knock effects. [...]