Garlic For Dogs: Poison Or Medicine?

garlic dogWhen it comes to garlic, most dog owners are divided on their opinion.
A few years ago I wrote about garlic on my website and was pleased when several people thanked me for telling the truth. And then there was this guy who told me I was going to be responsible for the death of hundreds of dogs, if not thousands because I was an idiot. I thanked him for his opinion since we are all entitled to have one, but it bothered me a lot.

Yes, I promote the use of garlic. Fresh, aromatic, organic garlic with a smell that lingers in the kitchen promising either a good meal or a good heal.So why do I go against AVMA warnings and give garlic to my dogs? I do it because common sense and an objective look at both the risks and benefits of garlic tell me it can provide great benefits to dogs with minimal risk. Remember, AMVA (American Medical Veterinary Association) members also think that raw food is unhealthy and would rather dogs eat a processed, chemical laden diet than fresh, raw free-range chicken or vitamin packed green tripe.

Why the controversy over garlic?

The primary reason AVMA is against feeding garlic is that it contains thiosulphate, which can cause hemolytic anemia, liver damage and death. However garlic only contains very small traces of thiosulphate and a dog would have to consume a huge quantity for any negative effects. Using Tylenol (acetaminophen) or benzocaine topical ointments to stop itching are far more likely to cause anemia in dogs.

Garlic’s medicinal properties

There are many health benefits to feeding garlic. Here are some things you might not know about this healthy herb:

• Garlic is a natural antibiotic and won’t affect the good bacteria in the gut which are needed for digestion and immune health
  • Garlic is antifungal
  • Garlic is antiviral
  • Garlic boosts the immune system
  • Garlic makes dogs less desirable to fleas
  • Garlic is antiparasitic

What kind of garlic?

I stick with fresh, raw organic garlic and keep it on hand as a staple for both cooking and healing. If it’s fresh, I know the medicinal qualities are still there, unlike minced garlic which may originate in China and sit for months in a jar. Powdered garlic doesn’t cut it either. Kyolic Aged Liquid Garlic is a good choice if you don’t want to smash and cut every day.

How much garlic to feed

You can safely give a 1/2 clove per ten pounds of body weight each day, chopped or grated. Two cloves maximum per day for a large dog is a good guideline.

• ½ clove for a 10 + pounds
  • 1 clove for a 20 + pounds
  • 1 ½ cloves for 30 + pounds
  • 2 cloves for 40 + pounds

My dogs are over 70 pounds but I stick with the 2 cloves.

Garlic tips

For optimum health benefits, let garlic sit for 5 to 10 minutes after cutting and before serving (or cooking). This allows the health-promoting allicin to form, so it’s worth the wait.

To get rid of the smell on your hands, rinse them under water while rubbing them with a stainless steel spoon! I don’t know why it works, but bless the woman who told me this long ago.

A great home remedy recipe

An ear medicine I’ve kept on hand for years started out when my kids got ‘swimmers ear’ one summer. It’s simple to make and since garlic is an antibiotic, antibacterial, and antifungal it covers several possibilities.

Crush 2 cloves fresh garlic; wait ten minutes and add them to 1/3 cup olive oil. Heat in a pan (do NOT boil) for several minutes. Let cool. Strain and store in a glass bottle with a dropper and apply it directly in the ears.

The only possible drawback to this remedy is every time I smell it I want pasta and garlic bread!

46 Responses to Garlic For Dogs: Poison Or Medicine?

1. Alma McDowell April 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM #

Thank you so much for this article! I have a dog that is constantly itchy & chews himself. I was giving him the powdered garlic then stopped because it seemed to only help a little. Didn’t realize how much more potent & healthy the fresh garlic is for them. Again thank you, thank you, thank you! <3

2. Ann March 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM #

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to explain the benefits of garlic and that is not a danger.

I have used over the years for my dogs and have always felt it was especially good for keeping away fleas (as well as dealing with the unseen parasites).

Dogs are people too… :-)

• Andrea Partee March 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM #

You are so welcome Ann! I appreciate your comment (-:

3. Kelly February 28, 2014 at 5:58 AM #

I have to publish this, because you are promoting something that has not medical basis or clinical trials. Having followed your advice, only using very small amount of cooked garlic, (one clove to make liver biscuits mixed in to 500g of liver which were given over 2-3 months to my dog as treats), my dog has been diagnosed as anaemic and it has not fought of anything.

If you read any experts advice, I.e fully trained and qualified vets. garlic is very poisonous. Sadly I did not find these sites prior to making and give the liver biscuits to my dog.

• Dogs Naturally Magazine March 1, 2014 at 7:40 AM #

Kelly, we have an article in our print magazine by Dr Deva Khalsa that discusses the research behind garlic. If you are a subscriber, you would have seen this. In any event, the studies that showed garlic causes anemia got that result by feeding Golden Retrievers SEVENTY whole cloves of garlic a day. Your dog may be anemic, but it’s highly doubtful that the garlic cookies caused it.

• Andrea Partee March 1, 2014 at 9:48 AM #

Kelly, I’m so sorry to hear your dog is anemic and I do understand you jumping to conclusions that garlic had something to do with it. It’s because of people jumping to the wrong conclusions that both Dogs Naturally Magazine and myself (at three-little-pitties.com) are here to help.

I will also share with you that I am 59 years old and have given garlic to every dog I’ve ever had (a total of 12 dogs since I had 5 at one time) and NONE of them were ever anemic. On the other hand, I have always been careful to avoid anything with acetaminophen or benzocaine because either of these taken internally of externally may cause anemia.

Thank you for caring enough to write and I hope you find the cause of your dog’s anemia so it doesn’t happen again.

All the best to you and your dog,

Andrea

4. LG January 19, 2014 at 1:18 PM #

Hi, I’ve been giving my dogs one odorless garlic gelcap a day. Is it also good to repel fleas and ticks since it’s odorless?

Thanks

5. eugenius January 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM #

I used to give my 5yr old dog raw garlic about once a week. Ticks and mosquitos hated him.
    Then this summer I had to leave home for two months. Dog was left with my husband who forgot to give him garlic this whole period. When I returned, to my surprise, ticks found him their best friend, even when he`d go out for a minute to do his business he`d return with a tick on ! (he is light tan with short hair and you can spot anything on his skin immediately). In only a few days I saw more ticks on him than in 5 years all together, so I asked my husband if he gave him garlic while I saw gone . “Oh my gosh, I forgot about that” he said. Soon after I started giving him garlic ticks started too hate him again. We go on long walks through the woods and a tick barely ever sticks.
    I love my boy !

6. Kay December 10, 2013 at 6:26 AM #

Hi there,
    Is it also possible for you to also post the garlic doses in teaspoons or weight perhaps please? The reason I ask is because some of the garlic I buy is huge and some is very small. Consequently the size of the cloves varies greatly. Sorry to be a pain but I don’t want to get the dose wrong. Thank you.

• Dogs Naturally Magazine December 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM #

We have a guide to dosing in the magazine – I believe it’s in the July 2013 issue.

7. Sally Park December 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM #

I have 2 ridgebacks and my 6 year old has been having ear infections for years and I used medication provided by the vet and, of course it worked, for a while. I got my 2nd ridgeback in June and his ears get more infections in them that the older one.

I am going to try your treatment, garlic in 1/3 cup of oil, but would like to know the dosage, ie 1 mil, etc. per ear.

Hope to hear from you soon as my younger pup is going mad with ear shaking and I truly would like to help him as soon as possible.

• Dogs Naturally Magazine December 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM #

You can also try Zymox (without the hydrocortisone) – it’s a good product but after that treatment, a good case taking by a homeopathic vet would really help to prevent future episodes and address the imbalance causing the ear issues. Visit theavh.org to find a good homeopathic vet!

• Andrea Partee December 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM #

Sally, at the risk of sounding totally unprofessional, I don’t measure for my dogs. I simply use a half eyedropper full and massage it in to get a good coating then let them shake out the excess.

As Dogs Naturally suggests, finding a homeopathic vet could serve you well. Any dog that has a recurring problem like ear infections is out of balance. It’s not just the ears. Diet is often a huge contributing factor.

Also, you didn’t mention whether the ear infections are bacterial or fungal but there are several ways to deal with it depending on the source of the imbalance. Another home remedy for a yeast based ear infection is at: http://www.three-little-pitties.com/dog-yeast-ear-infection.html I suggest you try them both until you get to the source of the problem and fix it permanently.

8. Pamela October 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM #

Andrea, Thanks for approaching this issue with some common sense. If we have a choice to use a safe food item for healing and preventative health it should be the first option. What we have here is nonsense fear mongering with absolutely nothing solid in any reputable studies to back it up. Yes onions can be toxic to dogs and garlic contains a minute trace amount of the compound found in high doses in onions. Obviously pets (like people) can be allergic to anything so yes a few dogs may have an allergic reaction but I have yet to know anyone personally who has dealt with that when the issue was garlic. A random case of an allergic reaction is a far cry from what they are terrifying people about here with garlic and their pets.

This all boils down to our choices..Are we going to use what has been used for decades and decades to help humans and animals stay well safely or are we going to opt for dangerous chemicals that will do more damage to our dogs instead of helping them keep their immune system strong?

It truly stuns me that people would freak out about a simple but very healing garlic bulb but not make a peep about the truckload of very dangerous and highly toxic vaccines their vets push on them for every visit. Shots that turn their pets into repeat sick patients. Augh. Indeed, how did dogs and cats make it this far without all these toxic “health” choices? My family has a lineage of being animal lovers for generations and it wasn’t until they added all these shots that we started to see allergies, horrible skin conditions, rare cancers, aggressive and odd behaviors and seizures. That doesn’t make the front page news now does it? But oh boy we had better warn everyone about “garlic”? Good grief.

I’ll stick with the garlic, coconut oil, organic foods, and natural choices and leave the toxins to the peddlers who profit from these fear mongering campaigns.

Again, thanks for bringing common sense back into this vital choice for good pet health. Our home will never be without garlic or organic coconut oil for humans and pets.

• Andrea Partee October 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM #

Pamela, thank you for your long and thoughtful comment. I couldn’t agree with you more. Amazingly I even fed my dogs onion via leftovers for over 20 years before I heard onion was dangerous and none of them got sick. On the other side of the coin, after a mandatory rabies vaccine was given, my best friend developed terminal cancer at the injection site.

I’ll stick with whole fresh foods, herbs, and homeopathy. And I love garlic!

9. Sherry October 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM #

I do not give daily, I usually crush one clove into his food every three days. He is only 9 months but has been flea free since we got him 5 months ago.
    If it takes 8 cloves to overdose a dog is there any long term effects from giving 1 clove every three days? He seems to be a Happy, Healthy pup, I just get NERVOUS reading negative effects that circulate on the web…
    Sherry

• Andrea Partee October 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM #

Hey Sherry, a very safe amount is what I posted in the article which is:

1/2 clove per 10 pounds of body weight each day, chopped or grated. Two cloves maximum per day for a large dog is good.

This gives room for variation is size and is the same amount recommended by Dr. Marty Goldstein in “The Nature of Animal Healing.” Funny how the wrong information spreads like wildfire on the internet or even occasionally at the vets office. Kind of like repeating vaccines. Now THAT’S dangerous.

And Pamela just wrote a great response I love!

10. Karadyan September 6, 2013 at 4:49 AM #

Its interesting you say that the AVMA doesn’t approve of garlic use when here is a podcast with Dr. Wismer who contradicts your belief that they believe it shouldn’t be used.http://www.avmamedia.org/manage/mediaimg/s346-garlic.mp3 as she states (as like you) that small doses are acceptable.

My concern with your article is the doses that you are recommending, the AVMA study stated that at I believe 5mg/kg is about when animals started showing signs of damage to their blood cells.

You however are basing dosages on size which I believe to me extremely dangerous, because depending on the species or just natural variation in garlic bulbs the size of a clove can vary and thus could go beyond the range of 5mg/kg. Its quite possible due to this variation they aren’t maintaining the levels for long enough to cause a problem, but if an owner is unaware of this information then they could potentially be giving far more than is healthy for an animal.

To me this is equivalent to someone saying I give my dog a Cadbury’s Dairy Milk every now and then (which contains little to no theobromine due to the processing and addition of milk and sugar), therefore dogs can eat chocolate and someone then giving their dog a piece of Lindt 90% dark chocolate where the theobromine levels would be increased significantly due to the little refinement it undergoes and no added milk and sugar.

• Dogs Naturally Magazine September 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM #

It would take about 8 full cloves to damage most dogs. Overdosing with garlic is not all that easy to do.

11. Jade August 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM #

If using the Kyolic extract, what’s a good amount for a dog between forty and fifty pounds? We’re trying to rid our dogs of fleas naturally with the garlic oil and brewer’s yeast on their food, homemade essential oil flea spray and collar, and diatemaceous earth mixture on our bedding, furniture and floor (yes, we got the organic kind, not the chemical laden stuff used in pools!) I’m glad I found your site, as I was trying to find out why garlic can be “toxic” to dogs and in what amount.

• Andrea Partee August 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM #

Hi Jade, sorry it took so long to answer. I’ve looked high and low for a specific book to be precise with an answer but couldn’t find it. I assume it says on the bottle of liquid Kyolic extract how much is equal to a clove (tell me it does!) since your dogs would be able to have 2 cloves per day for their weight of 40 to 50 pounds, you can figure it out from there.

You can also get a few other ideas from a free flea control book I offer on my website. You can find that here:

12. Chelsea August 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM #

I have used Garlic on my horse before , I bought the Bug Off Garlic from Spring time and it really does work! his sweat smelt like garlic his stall smelt of garlic and he not only had no flies by him but it repelled a lot of people! haha I didnt mind though cause I like the smell of garlic. Anyways I want to try it on my Welsh Corgi , my uncle uses minced garlic and olive oil in his Corgi’s dinner food. He said it works great and its good for his dog because he was over weight for a while and its really helping him. I just tried it today with a very tiny bit of garlic (extremely tiny bit) and she ate it no problem. I see a lot of negative posts online about it for any animal, but i also see articles like these and positive comments about it. My horse is alive and well and he had garlic, I didnt have to buy that awful fly spray that aggravates his skin either. Obviously too much of anything would harm an animal, its supposed to be given in small amounts. You know what they say “too much of a good thing, isn’t a good thing”

• Andrea Partee August 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM #

You hit the nail on the head Chelsea when you said “too much of a good thing isn’t a good thing”. Garlic is awesome stuff and I wouldn’t be without it, but I’m smart enough to know 2 cloves a day for my big dog is plenty.

13. Dendy Ellis July 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM #

Our Rot/German Shepard was infested with tics as was our neighbor’s dogs. We tried everything & took him to our Vet who gave him several different meds. Nothing helped & when ‘Thor’ continued to get weaker & weaker & now from a large hole right behind his neck that was infested with Momma, Baby ticks, & Eggs, suddenly I remembered an old treatment that my Grandparents used on their farm animals & family pets. I went online & researched the use of Garlic with Dogs & decided to try it. I took a Garlic Pod & at first minced it, mixing with his food. He wouldn’t touch it, I suppose because of the smell. So I waited until the next morning & I gave him the whole Pod stuffed inside raw hamburger meat. I started doing this 2 times a day. I used small pods, but he got wise so I had to change up & stuff the pod in wieners, bread, or anything to get him to eat it. I continued for 2 weeks & noticed fewer & fewer ticks. Even the hole behind his neck was shrinking & a few days later the ticks & eggs were gone. So I cut the dosage down to 1 a day for 3 days, then half a pod every other day for a week, then I stopped. We didn’t see one tick anywhere! Even the flies that were so bad left because of Thor’s bad smelling poop. We took him to the Vet & he was astonished & made me write down everything I had done. This was seven years ago & we’ve seen maybe a handful of ticks & now give Garlic to all our pets, only for several days about once a month in very small doses. This really works!

14. gayle March 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM #

l have used garlic oil on wounds, get the garlic oil gel capsules pierce with a needle and squirt into hole most times it stops infection. Used thismethod on my sister horse when it had cut it leg on the the fence nasty cut but leg healed clean and no scarring.

• Andrea Partee March 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM #

Thanks for sharing Gayle. That made me smile.

15. Stacey Zanella February 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM #

My Grandmother used this garlic and olive oil remedy when I had ear aches as a child. It knocked them right out!
    In was so warm and soothing. Garlic is Old Medicine.

I also agree that organic raw garlic is healthy for our dogs. Our dogs love it when I make them garlic meatballs. I use organic ground grassfed beef, pat it out flat and put 2 minced organic garlic cloves in it and roll into a ball. Voila! Our dogs are 60-80 lbs and range in age from 8-17 years old.

We do not have fleas, ticks or parasites. I also occassionaly powder up our dogs using diatomacous earth in the summer months because we have a lot of feral cats around. I’d powder the cats up too if I could handle them :)

Garlic is easy to grow and the blossoms are nice to use in any culinary dish for their flavor and beauty.

Thank you for yet another great article.

• Joan February 20, 2013 at 5:53 AM #

Hi Stacey, Diatomacous earth has been banned here in Australia owing to its being a cause of lung cancer. You might want to rethink putting it on your dogs and breathing it in yourself. I used to have a DE filter for my pool but have now changed to a sand one.
      Love the garlic idea. Always gave garlic oil capsules to my German Shepherds and it never did them any harm so was a bit surprised to read some thoughts on it not being safe.

• Ellie February 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM #

Joan, there is a huge difference between the type of DE used in pool filters like you said you had and the type of DE Joan is referring to using as a bug repellent.

The type of DE used in pool filters is considered filter grade DE, it is about 50-60% crystalline solids which absolutely are highly dangerous to inhale and do cause silicosis which is a nastly and irreversible lung disease. The filter grade DE also has other dangerous chemicals added to it and is heat treated.

Food grade DE on the other hand is absolutely safe, it is only about 0.5% to 1% cystalline solids depending on who you buy it from. There are no chemicals added like the filter grade DE. Food grade DE is a highly effective topical pest repellent and it is also a highly effective form of internal parasite control. I have fed it to my dogs (and myself) for a long time. I also use it for pest control in my organic garden.

Of course use common sense, breathing in excessive amounts of dust of any kind is never good for anyone, but the food grade DE is absolutely safe to use.

16. Paul February 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM #

Most of the benefits of garlic can be obtained from oregano oil, which has been tested on dogs, cats and horses.

Notable issues are that the undiluted oil can burn the skin, it has a strong flavor, and if used in too high a dose, can kill internal bacteria and fungi. After antibiotic treatment causes a “bloom” of internal fungi, it’s effective in reducing that secondary infection when followed by yogurt or another source of probiotics. Applied topically, it is effective against antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The active ingredients are carvacrol, thymol, cymene, and terpinine.

For ease of measurement, it should be diluted with olive oil, then mixed with a sweet or salty liquid to masks its flavor. Juice, soup, gravy and meat broth work well.

Internal dosage for children is 1 drop oil for up to 3x daily for children under 30#, so it would be reasonable to scale that for dogs.
    Diluted 1:3 with olive oil, oregano oil has been used externally on dogs to kill fleas, and to treat mange.

17. Elizabeth Heyenga February 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM #

Excellent article, thank you. Especially useful for me to send to friends and customers who still think “garlic is bad for dogs”. It is nice to give them real information as well as ideas for the best way to add garlic.

I am a big believe in garlic for myself and dogs, it may be “old fashioned” but there is a reason the older “less sexy” things work and garlic is the real deal.

18. linda February 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM #

Hello everyone,
    the website i listed below has a long list of studies showing the efficacy and safety of garlic. While they sell an air dried granulated product as opposed to serving raw, their site contains valuable information on garlic and all the benefits of serving garlic.

19. Erin February 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM #

I was wondering if you could list your credentials and the resources you’ve used? I have to be honest, I’m very suspecious of anyone that recommends feeding something to dogs that they admit may kill them. I would feel much better knowing it was coming from a certified nutritionist with experience and research to back up the efficacy and saftey.

• Dogs Naturally Magazine February 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM #

Perhaps you would like to contact the author yourself. This is tongue in cheek, but certified nutritionists advocate synthetic ingredients and processed foods so you must also take their advice with a grain of salt.

• Dogs Naturally Magazine February 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM #

You could also contact Dr Deva Khalsa – she recently wrote an article for us advocating the feeding of garlic and she will also have the research you are looking for.

• Andrea Partee February 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM #

Hi Erin, I appreciate your concern for your dogs. First of all I said thiosulphate can cause hemolytic anemia, liver damage and death. Tylenol (acetaminophen) or benzocaine topical ointments have higher levels of thiosulphate than garlic. If I had to choose one book to recommend out of the hundred or so I read per year, I’d have to recommend The Nature Of Animal Healing by Martin Goldstein, DVM. He also promotes garlic, along with Richard Pitcairn, DVM and dozens of others.

20. Alfie February 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM #

Does anyone use aromatherapy for fleas and ticks? I have only ever used this and none of my dogs have had fleas or ticks! I used to use garlic then stopped and using the above only works fine.

21. Sandy Stokes February 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM #

I use garlic on a daily basis with my Labradors but, do use Bog Off brand garlic granules. I think there is a difference between garlic “powder” and the granules. I have excellent results with the Bug Off garlic granules.

22. Lorraine Beal February 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM #

Thank you for such an interesting article. I feed RMB’s as I only want the best for my dogs. I have recently started making my own dog treats too and was using powdered garlic in them, having read this I will now be switching to fresh garlic.

• Andrea Partee February 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM #

You’re so welcome Lorraine and good for you! If you’d like a few more treat ideas, there are free healthy dog biscuits recipes on my site at http://www.three-little-pitties.com/healthy-dog-biscuits.html

• Jennie Benstead February 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM #

It makes a change to read positive things about garlic……my dogs are almost 2yrs old and I have fed garlic since they were pups they are also raw fed and I make all their treats…..we are in the UK and last summer we did not have one flea or tick..I also use pure essential oils and make my own spray….I would rather build my dogs immunity than to fill them full of chemicals that cause more harm than good….

23. Jenn Merritt February 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM #

I feed raws and I’ve been using Bug Off Garlic powder for natural flea/tick prevention and overall health for over 10 years. I’ve never had any issue with any of my dogs developing hemolytic anemia or liver damage and frankly, all my dogs are healthier than they have ever been. I know lots of people in my area (North Carolina) that use the same product on their horses with great success, as we are now dealing with fleas and tick year-round. Using garlic powder has allowed me to stop using pesticide based flea/tick products, which I feel has contributed to longer, healthier lives for my dogs. What is the incidence of canine hemolytic anemia, liver damage and death from garlic exposure? Are there any clinical studies to back up all this fear mongering?

24. Deirdre Lehman February 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM #

I think feeding fresh garlic to certain dogs can be dangerous. I fed my puppy and older dog some fresh garlic and while it didn’t adversely affect my pup, my 4 yr old epileptic dog, who also had anaplasmosis in the past, as well as lots of vaccines, died around the time I fed it to him of AIHA. I told my vet and he didn’t think it was that, but I’m not so sure.

25. Lori February 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM #

I’d love to know if there’s a way for me to eat raw garlic and not stink……………..anything??

• Andrea Partee February 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM #

Lori, you might want to try chlorophyll. I use a tablespoon in my water every day to oxygenate my blood and alkalize but it’s also considered an internal deodorant. Comes in a concentrate too.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Question Regarding 4 year old Yorkie Diet - Page 4 - YorkieTalk.com Forums - Yorkshire Terrier Community - July 22, 2013

[...] Chicken & Quinoa Makes about 15 servings Ingredients 2 cups cooked organic free range extra lean ground beef or ground lean turkey or ground lean chicken 1 1/2 cups cooked organic Quinoa 3/4 cup pureed organic vegetable mix (boiled broccoli, pumpkin, carrot, peas, spinach) 3/4 cup pureed organic fruit mix (apple, banana, mixed berries) 1 cup cooked organic Oatmeal 1 hard boiled egg 3 crushed garlic cloves **To make this a balanced nutritional meal you will need to add vitamins etc. Read below to see what I use Steps 1. Cook ground meat thoroughly with crushed garlic. Set aside. 2. Cook quinoa in separate pot. Set aside. 3. Boil egg. Set aside. 4. Cook your veggies then put them in a food processor with fruits and hard boiled egg, then puree. Set aside. 5. Cook oatmeal in another separate pot or microwave if you're using instant oats. Set aside. 6. Put all ingredients into a long casserole type dish and mix thoroughly. Use a spatula to flatten the mixture in the dish and let cool down a bit. Then portion it out and place individual portions into saran wrap and wrap each portion separately. Freeze all portions and take out however much you need the night before to thaw in the fridge. Supplements for a complete balanced meal: Multi-Vitamin: Rx Vitamins for PETS – Rx ESSENTIALS FOR DOGS (Really great high quality with extras like spirulina, chicory root, milk thistle, kelp, beta carotene) Omegas: Abound – Hemp Oil for dogs Probiotic: Rx Vitamins for PETS – Rx Biotic Extra Supplements that Buster takes (because he's 13 and in his golden years): Glucosamine for joints: UBA Vet Gold – Glucosamine HCL powder formula Bowel health support: RX Vitamins for PETS – Nutrigest Vision supplement: Ocu-GLO RX Organ support (liver & kidney): Standard process – Arginex Kidney support: Standard process – Renafood Energy supplement: Ultimate pet – Rejeneril Cough relief: NaturTech – Respirare **Garlic is a controversial ingredient for dogs. I personally believe it to be safe but if you don't..just leave it out! Here is a great read on Garlic for dogs and how its safe: Garlic For Dogs: Poison Or Medicine? | Dogs Naturally Magazine [...]